the global climate design awards 2023
Innovation for a more sustainable and resilient world.
It’s time to rethink everything!
We’re looking for top talent and innovation in all aspects of the design world, those who are bringing solutions to climate change.
We believe that Innovation comes in all shapes and sizes. This is an international awards program, open to companies and individuals from around the world.
Who is leading GCDA?
We are powered by dozens of experienced designers and business professionals from around the globe. We are all connected through our passion to help solve climate change through our collective work in design. Our leadership team is comprised of Climate Designers and other seasoned professionals working in sustainability.
Who are Climate Designers?
Climate Designers is the global hub for designers and creative professionals from all industries, committed to using our creative skills for climate action –
4,100+ members in 17 chapters around the world and growing!
What are the award categories?
The 2023 inaugural edition includes thirteen juried award categories. A final award will be determined by online public voting on the GCDA website and social media.
- Print / Digital Advertising Campaign
- Film or Video
- Graphic Design & Branding
- Package Design
- Product Design (Consumer)
- Product Design (Industrial)
- Architecture (Commercial)
- Architecture (Residential)
- Landscape Architecture
- Interior Design & Space Planning
- Fashion Design
- Out of the Box (OOB)
Our nominees present improvements and/or solutions in any of these industries:
- Beauty/personal care
- Energy use/electricity
- Professional services
What is the judging process?
- Every submission is individually evaluated by a team of GCDA researchers, judges and advisors.
- The final slate is voted on by our expert panel of diverse judges.
Who can submit?
- Anyone! Students, designers, academics, professional firms. You’re not a designer? That’s okay. Anyone passionate about climate design solutions may nominate their work or their favorite projects!
- Innovation comes in all shapes and sizes. This is an international awards program, open to companies and individuals from around the world. We request that entries are submitted in English.
Do submissions need to be existing designs, or can they be concepts?
- For eligibility in the 2023 GCDA edition, each submission must be either existing or able to be implemented between now and Jan. 1, 2025.
What is the timeline?
Key 2023 Dates:
- September 30: Submissions closed
- October: Shortlist announcement and press release
- October 1 to December 1: Promotion of shortlist; film production
- November 1–15: People’s Choice Award voting
- Jan 11, 2024: Winners announcement and press release; Award event
What do award entrants receive?
- A curated selection of entrants will be featured in social media and digital promotions during the open call period
- All shortlisted finalists are invited to the award event in Miami Jan 11, 2024, where you will receive public recognition of your work, and winners will be announced live
- All shortlisted finalists are entered in the Peoples’ Choice Award – more social media and PR exposure
- Work of select finalists and all winners will be included in massive PR and social media
- Work of select finalists and all winners will be featured in a short film to be premiered at the event in Miami. This film will be permanently featured on the Planet Earth channel, on ikonoTV
About ikonoTV: ikonoTV is a global media platform that aggregates videos and films from the art, architecture, and design community. All content and playlists are curated in-house making ikonoTV an art hub thanks to its extensive collaboration with other actors of the art community- with over 1 million viewers
In general, we recommend these types of focused submissions: environmental and climate justice projects with multi-solving approaches; regenerative concepts and solutions; solving for planned obsolescence and environmental impact; positive campaigns that excite and motivate people.
More specifically, we’d like to see design shown through the lens of biodiversity, climate, cultural and socio-economic equity.
Also important is innovative messaging and design solutions that challenge the status quo — meeting issues head on to address climate change, resiliency and sustainability.
- Provide data, disclosures and scalability that demonstrate real positive impact. Incorporate scope 1, 2 and 3 circular economy. Quantify if possible, and provide launch timeline if applicable.
- Specify how the product or service is both designed and delivered.
Judging criteria focuses on design process and products demonstrating positive impact to climate change, resiliency and/or sustainability exemplifying excellence and innovation in (any/all):
- Design thinking
- System thinking
- Educational value
- Global equity
- Public appeal
Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org!
Produced by AspirationsPR and Climate Designers Miami:
Global Climate Designers is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Contributions for the charitable purposes of Global Climate Designers must be made payable to “Fractured Atlas” only and are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.